I put a call out on Facebook asking friends what they would choose as a favourite dessert. My dear Ironmaner told me how much she loved carrot cake. So I took to the kitchen and whipped up a batch with a few substitutions wondering how this thing would stand up to its original self. When my husband, a carrot cake lover himself, told me he couldn’t tell the difference, I deemed it a hit. I brought the whole thing to work and within 90 minutes, it had disappeared. I guess that is the most telling part. I also didn’t tell my coworkers what I changed in the recipe…none of them could tell either.
You will need a few items, so here is your ingredients list:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white flour & 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (aprox. 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup chickpea puree (I make this myself)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened apple sauce
Be Prepared for a Change:
- Bring ½ cup dried chick peas to a boil, then simmer for 20 mins or until chick peas are soft. (You will want to put in the extra effort to use dry peas and cook them yourself. None of that nasty canned-taste for this cake).
- Drain cooked peas, toss into a food processor/blender with cold water, and blend until puree is very smooth, adding water until puree is thick but completely smooth.
- Mix together sugar, chickpea puree & eggs until mixture is slightly thickened. Sift flours, soda, salt & cinnamon together separately, then add to egg mixture.
- Add carrots, applesauce, raisins & walnuts to mixture and blend well.
- Bake in a greased/parchment lined 9x12in. pan for 35-40mins at 350oF. Check for doneness with a toothpick. Remove and let cool.
Icing on the Cake:
- Mix together ½ cup low fat cream cheese, ¼ cup butter & 1 cup icing sugar. Add water to make icing more liquid. Drizzle lightly over cake, to offer flavor, but not all the sugar/butter.